How to Use the HVAC to Save Money During the Holidays
The holidays are coming, and with the beginning of the holiday season, most families will start paying close attention to their budgets to prepare for buying gifts and hosting Thanksgiving dinners. One major problem with sticking to budgets in the fall and winter is that utility bills start to creep up to the point that they become serious problems.
As energy bills start to rise, homeowners should take every opportunity to save money, and luckily there are big opportunities with the heater. Here are a few money-saving tips from local experts to help homeowners save money on their energy bills, so they have enough to celebrate the holidays with peace and joy.
Update the Thermostat to a Smart Thermostat
The best way to lower energy bills is to use the HVAC system more judiciously. The problem with trying to be too restrictive with the heater and AC is that comfort gets sacrificed for savings. Luckily, this isn't a choice everyone needs to make. Simply upgrading the thermostat can lead to dramatic savings without sacrificing comfort. Here are the best choices:
- Programmable Thermostats: These thermostats are a cheap way to get better control of heating and cooling bills. Simply program the thermostat to only adjust the temperature when anyone is home.
- Smart Thermostats: If programmable thermostats seem like a hassle, smart thermostats are the easy choice. Smart thermostats learn the family's schedule and adjust the home's temperature according to the presence of people.
- Wi-Fi Thermostat: Wi-Fi thermostats combine the convenience of smart thermostats with the internet. One can control these devices from anywhere simply by using an app. In addition, these devices can learn schedules and use geofencing to more accurately control the home's temperature.
Remember Air Filter Replacement
The best way to save money, and the cheapest, is to keep clean air filters in place throughout the year. What is the best way to do this? Changing air filters every three months ensures that clean air filters are always in place. This assures the homeowner that clean air is always available in the home and lowers the HVAC system's cost of operation.
Dirty air filters not only take a toll on the furnace's internal workings but also restrict airflow. Air filter replacement ensures that the system doesn't have to work overtime to keep the home comfortable, and the best part is that replacing air filters is cheap and easy.
Maintenance is Always Money Well Spent!
HVAC equipment is mechanical, and like anything else, it will perform its best when maintained. The maintenance schedule that professionals recommend suggests AC maintenance in the spring and furnace maintenance in the fall. This allows professionals to look through the system and see if there are potentially concerning problems. When homeowners stick to a semi-annual HVAC maintenance schedule, they can reap benefits like:
- Fewer problems that could cause an outage in the summer or winter
- Lower repair bills
- Greater efficiency
- Lower electric bills
- Increased lifespan for equipment
About Anytime Plumbing, LLC
Anytime Plumbing, LLC is the trusted choice for plumbing, heating, and cooling maintenance. For homeowners looking to lower bills this winter, their experts can upgrade thermostats and provide maintenance service. For fast HVAC service in Las Vegas, NV, residential and commercial customers can call today.