Learn How Water Heater Maintenance Can Help You Save Money
Your water heater can account for over 15% of your homes energy. Even though this number seems small, the pennies can definitely add up over time. The great news is that you can do small things to lower your water heater energy consumption to help you and your family save money.
1. One of the possible ways to lower your water heater energy consumption is to use less. When it comes to reducing hot water, it's important that the people in your home utilize less water. Take quicker showers, use low flow shower heads, and turn off the water when you are soaping up. If possible, try to use lukewarm water rather than steaming hot water. Changing your shower habits can help you save tons of money.
2. Another way to reduce your water heater energy consumption is to change your wash habits. Try using cold water rather than hot water to wash your cloths. 90% of the energy people use is used in their washing machines.
3. Try insulating your water heater, doing so can help reduce heat losses by at least 25%. Having your water heated insulated can not only help you consume less hot water, it can save you around 4% in water heating costs. You can hire a professional to check your water heater to see if it needs to be insulated.
4. It might not seem as obvious, but it might be helpful that you buy a more efficient water heater. If your water heater is older than 10 years then you might want to look into investing in a new one. The new generation water heaters are considered much more energy efficient than the older models. Try to find water heaters that have the ability to trap heat, which prevents convective heat losses.
5. Your water heater stays on for 7 days a week, 24 hours a day. If you think about how long your water heater functions, then you will realize just how much energy is actually being used. Many households have their settings at 140 degrees, but you can easily set it to 120 degrees and still be comfortable. Every 10 degree turn down can save you at least 3% in energy costs.
Reducing your water heater's energy consumption is extremely important especially during the economic issues we are facing. Doing just the small things can put a few extra pennies back into your pocket without sacrificing your comfort.
Looking for water heater services in the Las Vegas area? Call (702) 362-9300 today for quick and effective services from Anytime Plumbing, Inc professionals.